The global economy continued to recover in the second quarter helped by the rollout of COVID-19 vaccines, U.S. fiscal stimulus programs and supportive monetary policies from the Fed and other major central banks.
SECOND QUARTER HIGHLIGHTS
• S&P/TSX Composite hits an all-time high of 20,295.2 on June 16th
• S&P 500 hits record high of 4,302.43 on June 30th
• Canadian dollar hits 6-year high of $0.8328 USD on May 31st
• WTI Oil hits 32-month high on June 25th closing at $74.05 USD
• Bank of Canada maintains overnight rate at 0.25% in Q2
Markets in the first quarter of 2021 have been marked by ongoing volatility as the world recovers from the negative effect of the first waves of the COVID-19 pandemic.
FIRST QUARTER HIGHLIGHTS
• S&P/TSX Composite hits an all-time high of 19,037.1 on March 17th
• S&P 500 hits record high of 3,994.41 on March 31st
• Canadian dollar hits 3-year high of $0.8097 USD on January 3rd
• WTI Oil hits 23-month high on March 5th closing at $66.42 USD
• Bank of Canada maintains overnight rate at 0.25% in Q1
By Kevin Wark
Most insurance advisors are familiar with the benefits of corporate-owned life insurance. To start, it may be "cheaper" to fund the premiums with after-tax corporate dollars rather than using personal funds.
Despite a resurgence of COVID-19 cases and renewed lockdowns in many regions, markets trended upward during the fourth quarter of 2020, boosted by growing clarity around the outcome of the U.S. presidential election and significant COVID-19 vaccine progress.
FOURTH QUARTER HIGHLIGHTS
• S&P/TSX Composite hits 9-month high of 17,684.1 on December 17th
• S&P 500 hits record high of 3,760.2 on December 31st
• Canadian dollar hits 32-month high of $0.7880 USD on December 17th
• WTI Oil hits 10-month high on December 18th closing at $49.24 USD
• Bank of Canada maintains overnight rate at 0.25% in Q4
If you are an income property owner, you will want to be up to speed on the most recent updates to the Canadian Emergency Rent Subsidy (CERS).
Check out this great read from our partners at Belliveau Veinotte on how the CERS is open to property owners and not just tenants.
The idea that retirement is a continuous vacation is a myth. It takes planning to spend time with purpose. Make no mistake it is important to relax, travel while you can, and enjoy every day - but that shouldn't be a retirement thing, it should be an everyday state of mind. Too many folks think life starts at retirement but get there to find disappointment realizing that life is best lived with purpose, which takes effort.
Recovering from the pandemic-related downdraft of the first quarter, financial markets enjoyed a period of relative calm and optimism through of the summer of 2020. Equity prices in many markets continued to improve, with some sectors moving sharply higher as lockdown restrictions eased and economic activity gradually resumed ...
What does everyone know about group health & dental plans? That's easy: The cost goes up every year, and selecting a specific plan design for the increasingly diverse needs of staff can be a challenge.
While the first quarter of 2020 was dominated by anxiety surrounding the initial outbreak of COVID-19 and the ensuing lockdowns and capital market declines, the second quarter demonstrated a remarkable bounce back in those markets – even with a resurgence of the virus in the U.S. and renewed lockdown measures.
The day arrives when you’re hopping into the car to head to the hospital because your family is about to be one or a few persons bigger; the baby(ies) are arriving. It is an amazing time in one’s life to be creating life and seeing your child(ren) grow and achieve. As parents we worry and fret about many things including saving for college...
EASTPORT FINANCIAL GROUP
Eastport Financial Group is leading the way in purposeful financial planning, legacy building and investments. They have locations in Nova Scotia and Ontario.